Podcasts with Uncle Heavy
Back in 2007, I broke the seal and bought my first 45 rpm record. I blinked, turned around, and realized that my Brooklyn living room was filled with boxes of old, crackly soul and R&B records, yellowed label sleeves, and clouds of toxic dust. Clearly, the only way to mitigate the chaos was to assume the identity of DJ Uncle Heavy, descend upon any local bar savvy enough to own a set of turntables, and share all the killer tunes with the people.
Time passed; records accrued. Just before Valentine’s Day of 2012, I was asked for the 275,423rd time, “With a voice like that, have you ever considered doing radio?” Suddenly, the clouds parted, a lone beam of sun shone down, and yea, did a raspy, funky voice utter but one word: "PODCAST." Sheer epiphany. And so, the semi-regularly-issued series of Podcasts with Uncle Heavy was born. Have at ‘em. Enjoy. And come back for more.
Right-click and choose "Save Link As..." to download - or just click to listen!
NEW!#8: Valentines Day with Uncle Heavy v4.0 - February 14, 2016
- Love gained, love lost, love unrequited. Forbidden love, junky love. Regret.
- #7: Christmas with Uncle Heavy v2.0 - December 24, 2015
- Another round of holiday favorites, from James Brown to chipmunks to Jiminie the Christmas Tree and beyond.
- #6: Valentine's Day with Uncle Heavy v3.0 - February 14, 2015
- More love-ish songs for such a love-ish occasion, with dogs, chickens, instructional wisdom, and even a BeeGees cover.
- #5: Christmas with Uncle Heavy - December 24, 2014
- Scratchy holiday classics, including Bing Crosby, creepy children singing, and Santa in space.
- #4: Never Gonna Give You Up - December 3, 2014
- A selection of forgotten records rescued from an old box of mine, which was donated to a good cause shortly thereafter.
- #3: Valentine's Day with Uncle Heavy v2.0 - February 14, 2013
- The second V-Day podcast with less heartbreak, no despair, much more love, and a little insanity.
- #2: On The Bus With Danny - July 20, 2012
- Live from the tour bus, with special guest Danny Miranda.
- #1: Valentine's Day with Uncle Heavy - February 14, 2012
- The first EVER V-Day podcast of heartbreak, despair, loss, and infidelity!